Tuesday 26 January 2016

Dear Grandpa



Dear Grandpa,


It's been 10 years. I can hardly believe it. I miss you very much. When I was younger, I didn't really know how to show affection. I didn't like cuddles too much. And I'm sorry. I hope you didn't think that I didn't love you. I did and I still do very much. I hope you know that.


I still remember, clear as glass the day I ran over and sat on your knee for a cuddle. You were so surprised and happy. It was really nice.


I remember all the games we used to play and the trips you and Gran took us on. You taught us about culture and history. You taught me how to play chess. You took us to the theatre.


I remember you having a sneaky go on Mike's drum kit whenever you came over. And how quickly you volunteered to look after it when we were having an extension on the house.


I remember you commenting on how you didn't like to walk Buster. Although you would always volunteer yourself to take him out for a stroll.


I remember how good you were at make believe. You would join in with all of my games and go along with whatever story I would make up. I was convinced that I had convinced you!


I remember the day myself and Mike decided to spend the morning (and half the phone bill) ringing you up and prank calling you when mum was busy downstairs. I say prank calling, it was more of putting on funny voices and pretending to be strange characters. We thought it was hilarious that you believed us. Of course, you didn't believe us. You knew full well it was us and you were just going along with it all, purely to keep us entertained. We laughed for hours!


I remember the one and only time you were angry with me. It was the day that myself, Mike and Ames were riding our bikes out in the garden and my handlebar scraped the side of your newly sprayed car. I couldn't believe it. I had never seen you upset with me before. It made me upset too and I still feel awful! Not that you stayed angry for long at all. You gave me a quick telling off and then it was back to smiles and hugs and happy Grandpa :)


You were the kindest person I have ever known. I still remember your cheeky grin. I'd giggle so much because normally you were doing something naughty when Gran wasn't looking. You would go right out of your way to help somebody else. You were completely selfless. You had the biggest, warmest heart and you saw the good in everybody.


I wish I had known you longer. I think if you were here now we would have great talks. I think I'd have grown up to be very close to you. I think I'd look at you as a wise old owl, full of memories and advice.


I think you and Gran would be travelling the world. You were always away visiting new countries, exploring and discovering. It's made me want to explore too.


10 years ago, I thought of you as a star shining in the sky. I would look up into the darkness, pick the brightest star I could see and that would be you. I still do it to this day and I always will. You will always be a star.


I hope you're looking down on us and I hope you're proud of who we've grown up to be. I will always try to make you, and the rest of my family proud. The fondest memories and thoughts of you will be in our hearts, always.


Love Frances x


*Thank you for reading my letter to my Grandpa. When I wrote it, I contemplated uploading it to my blog for a while. But I decided I wanted to share it. One thing I spoke about was the want for my Grandpa to be proud of me and who I have grown up to become. This blog is new but I still consider it a part of me and something I have a real love for. So I thought it was a nice idea to incorporate my letter, as both mean very much to me. Thank you.*

Share:

2 comments

© franki victoria | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig