Tuesday 5 January 2016

How to cut back on Junk Food!


So you eat too much junk food?!
Before you panic don't feel too guilty! 

We've all been there at some point and it's completely normal. And by 'there' I mean innocently nibbling at a few snacks and treats and before you know it, 5 hours have gone by and you've gotten through a full tub of Ben and Jerrys, a couple of family bags of crisps, a tub of Quality Street, a dozen donuts and a Chinese takeaway. And you find yourself staring into the reflection of your TV after your Netflix binge just to see your confused looking face with Wotsits stuck to your cheek.

Ok so I may be exaggerating a little, but there's no point at all in beating yourself up about it! Just two years ago I didn't care at all about my diet and what I was putting in my body. I'm talking endless Cadbury Caramel Bars (and I mean family size), Walkers crisps, Greggs pasties, Pizza, Donuts and don't even get me started on Chinese food.

Mmm, Crispy beef...

Don't get me wrong, this is all fine every now and then. I can't stress enough how important it is to treat yourself. If you try quitting cold turkey (unless you're some super marine) it's a pretty normal thing to find it incredibly difficult. It's only natural to want what we can't have.

And yes there was a time where I would indulge everyday in all of the above. The worst part was that I would fill myself up just on bad food and I had absolutely no balance. It's funny looking back and thinking about how much things have changed.

Now I know 'addicted' may be a strong word for most of you. You may just be eating too much junk food than you'd like.

So where to start?

Simple
Cut things out and make substitutions ONE STEP AT A TIME.

So the way I personally kicked it all off was with one New Years resolution. Take a couple of things you know you eat a lot of and focus on them separately and in stages.

Step 1: I decided to completely cut out fizzy drinks.

Doesn't seem too difficult right? You only have to think about giving one thing the boot. And yes, it was a little weird getting used to at first. But the first 1-2 weeks are always the most challenging. If you can break through that time, you'll be amazed at how easy it becomes and how quickly you forget about something you used to consume every day.

Now fizzy drinks wasn't a huge challenge for me, as I didn't drink a huge amount of them to begin with.

Step 2: Replace Crisps/Chips.

This was gonna be a toughy. There was nothing I loved better than coming home from work and having a quick snack. So I decided to find substitutions. I replaced my Crisps with popcorn, oatcakes, rice cakes, and most recently pitta chips. (Recipe for my homemade pitta chips will be on the blog soon). I was surprised at how simple this was because I had substituted my favourite snack with tasty, healthier alternatives.

"This is so easy!"

Wait... I said that too soon.

Step 3: Chocolate.

Excuse me for swearing but...ohhh shit.
If there's one thing I can never get enough of, it's chocolate.
And this was definitely the biggest challenge for me. And if I'm honest, the problem isn't completely solved. I still love all kinds of chocolate just as much and let's face it, I always will.

I did however, cut down on eating white/milk chocolate and tried to stick to dark chocolate. 70% cocoa or more is best, and I really like the Lindt bars. I found that eating a few squares of dark chocolate curbed my cravings just as much as a whole lot more of milk chocolate.

This doesn't mean I've cut out milk chocolate all together. I do still enjoy it on occasion and as a treat, as part of a balanced and healthy diet. I've pretty much phased out fizzy drinks and crisps and eat them rarely, maybe around Christmas time or the odd party. And I don't miss them or crave them much at all! So give it a try! You may be surprised at how quickly you adapt!

But it is perfectly perfect for you to treat yourself! With all the hard work you're doing, whether it be school, work, eating healthy, hitting the gym, and sometimes even just getting out of bed in the morning... You DESERVE it! And don't forget it!

I honestly believe that cutting things down and substituting junk food for healthier alternatives is a sure way to gradually change your lifestyle and keep you feeling healthier and happier! Work hard, play hard is a good philosophy to live by. And treating yourself is awesome if you're keeping up that balanced and nutritious diet. Just don't go too crazy!

Lotsa love,
Franki xxx


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© franki victoria | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig